Friday, June 10, 2011

"Religious"

A wise friend of mine asked me why I was going to Joplin, Missouri in the near future. I said, "Because I am religious." His expression after I had spoken shocked me. He said, "Oh no, you are not what the word 'religious' is defined as." He explained to me why what I answered with was wrong. He said that too many people think they have some kind of agenda to fulfill in order to be this outstanding Christian. Too many people think that if they do enough good deeds they will receive an automatic ticket to Heaven. He also mentioned how the word "religious" in general can pertain to so many things. Someone could say, "Man, that girl does her job religiously", which would definitely not have been the right word choice either. He used another example like this, "Some people say they are spiritual but you don't know what kind of spiritual they are talking about. Maybe they are practicing some kind of voodoo, but that still defines them as spiritual." I thought about how what I said was the incorrect response I was looking for. I really am going to help the tornado victims so I can be a witness of God's love. I am looking to grow in my faith by changing the lives of those in need by simply showing them love and compassion. I am so looking forward to walking up to those people who have been suffering and in need and to just hug them and let them know that it is all going to be okay. I can only pray that God will give me the right words to say. For those of you who follow my blogs, I ask that you keep such victims as these and all around the world who have experienced such great loss or hardship in your prayers. They need hope and faith more than most of us could even comprehend right now and it is our job as God's children to help one another so that peace may be restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment